Lagrein Wine in Australia
This Italian red wine variety is prized for producing wines with firm tannins and good colour, particularly in its native Trentino and Alto Aldige regions of Northern Italy. It is now being used by about forty Australian producers
In Northern Italy Lagrein is used to make varietal and blended red wines, the main blending partner is Schiava Grossa. It is also used to make rose style wines.
The flavour of Lagrein
Here is what some wine writes say about Lagrein
Lagrein in Australia
There are now about forty producers of wine from this variety in Australia, up from about zero at the start of this century.
The interesting thing is that although this variety hails from the cooler northern region of Italy it is being used very successfully in the warmer Australian regions of Murray Darling and Riverland.
Bassham Lagrein, a gold medal winner from the Riverland
- 919 Wines Riverland
- Alex Russell Wines Riverland
- Amadio Adelaide Hills
- Amietta Vineyard Geelong
- Antcliff's Chase Wines Strathbogie Ranges
- Bassham Riverland
- Bogie Man Wines Strathbogie Ranges
- Bremerton Langhorne Creek
- Brown Brothers King Valley
- Chalmers Heathcote
- Cirami Estate Riverland
- Cobaw Ridge Macedon Ranges
- Dell'uva Wines� Barossa Valley
- Di Lusso Estate Mudgee
- Domain Day Barossa Valley
- Fowles Wine Strathbogie Ranges
- Gisborne Peak Macedon Ranges
- Hand Crafted by Geoff Hardy McLaren Vale
- Hartz Barn Wines Eden Valley
- Heartland Wines Limestone Coast Zone
- John Gehrig Wines King Valley
- Kangaroo Hills Macedon Ranges
- Karanto Vineyards Langhorne Creek
- King River Estate King Valley
- Lazzar Wines Mornington Peninsula
- Montevecchio Heathcote
- Oak Works Riverland
- Paulmara Estate Barossa Valley
- Piako Vineyards Murray Darling
- Point Leo Road Vineyard Mornington Peninsula
- Regent Wines Swan Hill
- Ridgemill Estate Granite Belt
- Rossiters Murray Darling
- Seppletsfield Barossa Valley
- Serafino Wines McLaren Vale
- Sugarloaf Ridge Southern Tasmania
- Wine by Sam Strathbogie Ranges
- Vale Creek Wines Central Ranges Zone
- Zonte's Footstep Langhorne Creek
Lagrein and food
The Italian origin of the variety suggests Italian food but I would suggest it would go better with heartier Italian dishes such as osso bucco, brasato (beef braised in red wine), grilled fennel sausages or perhaps with a grilled steak with anchovy butter.
You could also try Lagrein with sharp vintage cheese, crackers and dried fruit.
You can find some wine of this variety at this online wine merchant. you can make up your own mixed cases. And you have the convenience of ordering from home and getting your wine delivered.
Browse for Wines
Before you go
Please subscribe to my newsletter...
I promise not to abuse your inbox. You will receive no more than three emails per month, most often just one, and you can unsubscribe at any time.