Lagrein Wine in Australia
This Italian red wine variety is prized for producing wines with firm tannins and good colour, particularly in its native Trentino and Alto Aldige regions of Northern Italy. It is now being used by about forty Australian producers.
In Northern Italy Lagrein is used to make varietal and blended red wines, the main blending partner is Schiava Grossa. It is also used to make rose style wines.
The flavour of Lagrein
Here is what some wine writes say about Lagrein
Lagrein in Australia
There are now about forty producers of wine from this variety in Australia, up from about zero at the start of this century.
The interesting thing is that although this variety hails from the cooler northern region of Italy it is being used very successfully in the warmer Australian regions of Murray Darling and Riverland.
Bassham Lagrein, a gold medal winner from the Riverland
- 919 Wines Riverland
- Alex Russell Wines Riverland
- Amadio Adelaide Hills
- Amietta Vineyard Geelong
- Badgers Brook Yarra Valley Yarra Valley
- Bassham Riverland
- Bremerton Langhorne Creek
- Brown Brothers King Valley
- Chalmers Heathcote
- Cirami Estate Riverland
- Cobaw Ridge Macedon Ranges
- Conte Estate Wines McLaren Vale
- Dell'uva Wines Barossa Valley
- Di Lusso Estate Mudgee
- Domain Day Barossa Valley
- Gisborne Peak Macedon Ranges
- Hand Crafted by Geoff Hardy McLaren Vale
- Hartz Barn Wines Eden Valley
- Heartland Wines Limestone Coast Zone
- John Gehrig Wines King Valley
- Kangaroo Hills Macedon Ranges
- Karanto Vineyards Langhorne Creek
- King River Estate King Valley
- Lazzar Wines Mornington Peninsula
- Lethbridge Wines Geelong
- Montevecchio Heathcote
- Mount Avoca Pyrenees
- Mount Towrong Macedon Ranges
- Oak Works Riverland
- Paulmara Estate Barossa Valley
- Point Leo Road Vineyard Mornington Peninsula
- Seppletsfield Barossa Valley
- Serafino Wines McLaren Vale
- Symphony Hill Wines Granite Belt
- Woodstock McLaren Vale
- Zonte's Footstep Langhorne Creek
Lagrein and food
The Italian origin of the variety suggests Italian food but I would suggest it would go better with heartier Italian dishes such as osso bucco, brasato (beef braised in red wine), grilled fennel sausages or perhaps with a grilled steak with anchovy butter.
You could also try Lagrein with sharp vintage cheese, crackers and dried fruit.
You can find some wine of this variety at this online wine merchant. you can make up your own mixed cases. And you have the convenience of ordering from home and getting your wine delivered.
Browse for Wines
Before you go
Please subscribe to my newsletter...
I promise not to abuse your inbox. You will receive no more than three emails per month, most often just one, and you can unsubscribe at any time.