Vermentino wine variety in Australia
Vermentino is one of the exciting new white varieties from Southern Italy that are making an impression on the wine scene in Australia.
By Giorgio Gallesio (NYPL Digital Gallery) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
In Italy, France and the Islands
Vermentino is an aromatic white wine variety whose native habitat is the Italian region of Liguria and the Mediterranean islands of Sardinia and Corsica. On Corsica it is known as Malviose of Corsica. It is also becoming increasingly popular under the name of Rolle in Provence and in the Languedoc-Roussillon Wine Regions in Southern France.
Other synonyms include Piccobon, Uva Sapaiola, Vermentino Bianco, Formentino (Italy); Carbesso. Carbes, Brustiano di Corsica, Malvasia Grossa, Malvasie Precoce d’Espagne, Malvasie à Gros Grains.
On Sardinia the most highly regarded Vermentinos are from the DOCG region of Vermentino di Gallura in the North East of the island.
Vermentino wines in Australia
Vermentino and Sardines promotion
A few years ago a group of Australian Vermentino producers banded together to promote Vermentino is a series of events promoting the natural affinity of Vermentino with freshly grilled sardines. The promotion no longer takes place but the food pairing idea is immortal.
Since the turn of the century more Australian wineries, especially on the mild to warm Australian wine regions are turning to Vermentino.
The variety has the ability to produce wines with firm acidity and good flavour even under the hot conditions experienced in some recent vintages.
One indication of it's growing importance is that since 2009 Australian Alternative Varieties Wine Show (AAVWS) has had a class for Vermentino to be judged separately. Previously it was in the "other whites" classes.
In 2016 there were forty Vermentino wines judged at AAVWS.
My expectation is that this variety will play a prominent role in Australian wine regions that are too warm to produce quality wine from varieties like Chardonnay. In fact the variety is well known for its ability to withstand extreme heat waves.
What do you think about this variety?
I'd love your opinion. Please leave a comment in the box near the bottom of this page, or just take a look at what others are saying.
Australian Producers of Vermentino
There are now more than one hundred producers of this variety, a huge vote of confidence by Australian Winemakers, and the willingness of Australian winelovers to try something new.
Award winning Vermentino
At the AAVWS in 2016 there were 40 Vermentino wines judged. Four Gold medals were awarded, six Silvers and 11 bronzes.
Gold medals were won by
- Goodman Wines
- Mr Mick
- 919 Wines Riverland
- Aldinga Bay McLaren Vale
- Alex Russell Wines Riverland
- Ambrook Wines Swan Valley
- Angoves Winery Riverland
- Angullong Wines Orange
- Aravina Margaret River
- Atze's Corner Wines Barossa Valley
- Barangaroo Boutique Wines Grampians
- Bassham Riverland
- Beach Road Langhorne Creek
- Bella Riva King Valley
- Bellwether Coonawarra
- Berton Vineyards Riverina
- Billy Button Alpine Valleys
- Box Grove Vineyard Nagambie Lakes
- Boyntons Feathertop Alpine Valleys
- Bremerton Langhorne Creek
- Briar Ridge Vineyard Hunter Valley
- Brown Brothers King Valley
- Bullers Calliope Rutherglen
- Calabria Family Wines Riverina
- Calais Estate Hunter Valley
- Cappa Stone Murray Darling
- Carpe Diem Margaret River
- Chalk Hill Winery McLaren Vale
- Chalmers Heathcote
- Chapel Hill McLaren Vale
- Cirami Estate Riverland
- Conte Estate Wines McLaren Vale
- Crittenden at Dromana Mornington Peninsula
- Cush and Cush Heathcote
- Dalfarras Nagambie Lakes
- Delinquente Wine Riverland
- Della Fay Margaret River
- Di Lusso Estate Mudgee
- Dowie Doole McLaren Vale
- ess&see McLaren Vale
- First Creek Hunter Valley
- First Ridge Mudgee
- Five o’Clock Project McLaren Vale
- Flying Fish Cove Margaret River
- Flynn's Wines Heathcote
- Fowles Wine Strathbogie Ranges
- Fox Creek Wines McLaren Vale
- Golden Grove Estate Granite Belt
- Goodman Heathcote
- Goodman Wines Heathcote
- Gumpara Winery Barossa Valley
- Happs Margaret River
- Hastwell and Lightfoot McLaren Vale
- Hungerford Hill Hunter Valley
- Jacobs Creek Barossa Valley
- Kangarilla Road McLaren Vale
- King River Estate King Valley
- Koener Wine Clare Valley
- La Maschera Barossa Valley
- Lake Breeze Langhorne Creek
- Landaire Padthaway
- Lillypilly Estate Riverina
- Little Wine Company Hunter Valley
- Mansfield Wines Mudgee
- Marq Margaret River
- Matriarch and Rogue Clare Valley
- McIvor Estate Heathcote
- Michelini Alpine Valleys
- Millbrook Winery Perth Hills
- Mitolo McLaren Vale
- Montevecchio Heathcote
- Moojelup Farm Geographe
- Mr Mick Clare Valley
- Muster Wine Company Barossa Valley
- Oak Works Riverland
- Oakover Estate Swan Valley
- Olivers Taranga McLaren Vale
- Parish Hill Wines Adelaide Hills
- Pinelli Swan Valley
- Politini King Valley
- Rabbit and Spaghetti Clare Valley
- Rupert's Ridge Estate Heathcote
- Saddlers Creek Wines Hunter Valley
- Salena Estate Riverland
- Scarborough Wine Hunter Valley
- Seaview McLaren Vale
- Serafino Wines McLaren Vale
- Signor Vino Riverina
- Spinifex Barossa Valley
- Stefano di Pieri Murray Darling
- Symphony Hill Wines Granite Belt
- Tallagandra Hill Canberra
- Tallavera Grove Winery Hunter Valley
- Tanglefoot Winery Peel
- Taylors Clare Valley
- Temple Bruer Langhorne Creek
- The Little Wine Company Hunter valley
- Trentham Estate Murray Darling
- Vale Creek Wines Central Ranges Zone
- Vasarelli Currency Creek
- Vigna Bottin McLaren Vale
- Vinaceous Various
- Whistling Kite Riverland
- Willem Kurt Beechworth
- Windy Creek Estate Swan Valley
- Yalumba Wine Company Eden Valley
- Yelland and Papps Barossa Valley
- Zonte's Footstep Langhorne Creek
Buy some vermentino
Wine Selectors is an online wine store with a fine selection of Vermentino. You can select from their range to get a mixed pack and explore the wines from different producers.
Vermentino and Food
Light and crisp Vermentino wines are ideal to serve alone as an aperitif, but many of these wines can play a role pairing with a range of foods, especially seafood.
Vermentino has enough oomph to pair with simple seafood dishes or even those with rich creamy or buttery sauces. These wines can also be paired with Sardines or a plate of whitebait with aioli.
Fresh sardines are so much better when you pair them with a glass of Vermentino
Learn More about Grape varieties
De Long's Wine Grape Varietal Table
Get your copy of
De Long's Wine Grape Varietal Table
Before you go
Please subscribe to my newsletter...
I promise not to abuse your inbox. You will receive no more than three emails per month, most often just one, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Try this six-pack of alternative reds from our online wine retail partner. Six wines, six regions, six top producers. Just $99. Details here.
Hint: Even cheaper bottle price by the dozen