Perth Hills Wine Region
The Perth Hills Wine Region lies to the east of the better known Swan Valley Wine Region.
La Fattoria in the Perth Hills make a wine from a range of alternative varieties
Although this region abuts the more famous Swan Valley Wine Region the climate is markedly cooler, a consequence of its greater altitude, as much as 400m higher. Thus vintage in the Perth Hills is typically 10-20 days later.
The region is very close to Perth and it is surprising that the modern era of winemaking only gathered momentum during the 1990s. The vineyards are located on the western slopes of the Darling Range. There is an abundance of hills, ridges and valleys with different aspects and microclimates and often with good soils for viticulture.
The region is close enough to be influenced by sea breezes from the Indian Ocean. The diverse effects of these breezes added to altitudes varying between 150-400 metres mean that there is a wide selection of microclimates for grape growing.
Some sites are obviously cool enough for Pinot Noir and there are others which are suitable for later ripening varieties such as Grenache and Pedro Ximenes.
As a relatively new region it is not surprising to see a smattering of new varieties here as well as the WA classics of Chenin Blanc and Verdelho.
Wineries and Varieties in the Perth Hills region
- Brookside Chenin Blanc, Petit Verdot, Tempranillo
- Carldenn Homestead Wines Chenin Blanc, Tempranillo, Trebbiano
- Cosham Petit Verdot
- Due Jolly Vermentino
- Hainault Gewurztraminer
- Jarrah Ridge Winery Chenin Blanc, Zinfandel
- Kyotmunga Estate Barbera, Chenin Blanc, Taminga
- La Fattoria Barbera, Biancone, Brachetto, Fiano, Montepulciano, Nebbiolo, Nero d'Avola, Pignoletto, Sagrantino, Sangiovese, Vermentino
- Lion Mill Vineyards Durif, Graciano, Montepulciano, Petit Verdot, Tempranillo, Zinfandel
- Millbrook Winery Arneis, Durif, Fiano, Malbec, Nebbiolo, Pedro Ximenez, Petit Verdot, Sangiovese, Tempranillo, Verdejo, Vermentino
- Myattsfield Vineyard and Winery Durif, Tempranillo, Touriga, Vermentino
- Tonon Vineyard and Winery Fiano, Malbec, Prosecco, Sangiovese, Tempranillo, Vermentino
Updated 11 October 2021
La Fattoria is one of the leading varietal innovators in WA. They contributed comments to my Rare Ozzies book for the rare varieties Biancone, Brachetto and Pignoletto.
Some of the Alternative Varieties grown in the Perth Hills Region
Pictures from WA WIneries
An Offer from our online Wine Shop Partner
Six whites - Viognier, Savagnin, Gruner Veltliner, Vermentino, Friulano, Trebbiano .
Six reds - Sagrantino, Sangiovese, Malbec, Durif, Tempranillo, Touriga.
Together they make up a fine survey of the major alternative wine varieties made in Australia today by some of our best winemakers across Australian regions.
Also available as all reds and all whites dozens.
And at a great price..
Was this info what you wanted?
Use the search box below to find more.
Before you go
Please subscribe to my newsletter...
I promise not to abuse your inbox. You will receive no more than three emails per month, most often just one, and you can unsubscribe at any time.