Margaret River Wine Region
This Australian wine region is about 300 km south of Perth in Western Australia. It is justly world famous famous for the quality of its Chardonnay and its Cabernet Sauvignon wines.
But there is more for the savvy visitor to this region ...
Some alternative varieties in the Margaret River Wine Region
History of the Margaret River Region
The wine region is relatively new, even by Australian standards. The first plantings took place in the 1960’s.
Len Evans in his 1973 opus Australia and New Zealand Complete Book of Wine refers to trial plantings in the region and predicts
“It remains to be seen as to how successful these areas could become.”
We can safely say that the jury has decided in this case.
A prediction from half a century ago
There are now well over one hundred wineries in the region. The best are achieving world recognition for the quality their Chardonnays and Cabernets.
Soon after the region was established Zinfandel and the old stalwarts of Western Australian white grapes - Chenin Blanc and Verdelho were comonly grown.
In more recent years Sangiovese, Tempranillo and other Mediterranean varieties have made their appearance.
Visitors to a vineyard in Margaret River. Photo from Margaret River Discovery Co
Alternative varieties in the Margaret River region
- Arimia Petit Verdot, Zinfandel
- Adinfern Malbec
- Amato Vino Arinto, Bastardo, Carignan, Fiano, Graciano, Nebbiolo, Tempranillo, Tannat, Teroldego
- Aravina Chenin Blanc, Tempranillo, Vermentino
- Arlewood Estate Nebbiolo
- Blind Corner Aligote, Chenin Blanc, Sangiovese
- Blue Poles Vineyard Fiano, Tempranillo, Teroldego
- Brookwood Estate Chenin Blanc
- Bunkers Tempranillo
- Cape Grace Wines Cabernet Franc, Chenin Blanc, Malbec, Petit Verdot
- Cape Mentelle Marsanne, Roussanne, Sangiovese, Zinfandel
- Carpe Diem Malbec, Nebbiolo, Sangiovese, Vermentino
- Celestial Bay Malbec, Petit Verdot, Ruby Cabernet
- Chalice Bridge Estate Savagnin
- Churchview Estate Chenin Blanc, Marsanne, Zinfandel
- Cloudburst Malbec
- Credaro Estate Fragola, Gewurztraminer, Sangiovese
- Cullen Wines Malbec, Petit Verdot
- Deep Woods Estate Nebbiolo
- Della Fay Vermentino
- Dormilona Chenin Blanc, Tempranillo
- Fermoy Estate Chenin Blanc, Nebbiolo
- Flametree Chenin Blanc, Malbec
- Flying Fish Cove Barbera, Chenin Blanc, Nebbiolo, Sangiovese, Vermentino
- Forester Estate Alicante Bouschet, Fer, Malbec, Petit Verdot
- Gralyn Estate Pedro Ximenez
- Green Valley Chenin Blanc
- Happs Bastardo, Cabernet Franc, Carignan, Chenin Blanc, Cinsaut, Furmint, Gamay, Graciano, Marsanne, Muscadelle, Nebbiolo, Tinto Cao, Tempranillo, Vermentino
- Hay Shed Hill Wines Cabernet Franc, Malbec, Nebbiolo, Sangiovese, Tempranillo
- Higher Plane Fiano, Malbec, Tempranillo
- Howling Wolf Wines Sangiovese
- Island Brook Malbec, Tempranillo
- Jarvis Estate Cabernet Franc
- Juniper Estate Fiano, Malbec, Tempranillo
- Kneedeep Chenin Blanc
- L A S Vino Nebbiolo, Souzao, Tinto Cao, Touriga,
- Larry Cherubino Arneis, Counoise, Fiano, Gewurztraminer, Malbec, Mencia, Pinot blanc, Prosecco, Sauvignon gris, Tempranillo
- Lenton Brae Pinot Blanc
- LS Merchants Malbec, Petit Verdot, Touriga, Vermentino
- Marq Fiano, Gamay, Malbec, Petit Manseng, Tempranillo, Vermentino
- McHenry Hohnen Marsanne, Malbec, Petit Verdot, Roussanne, Tempranillo, Zinfandel
- Marri Wood Park Chenin Blanc
- Mr Barval Fine Wines Marsanne, Nebbiolo
- Night Harvest Alicante Bouschet
- Nocture Nebbiolo, Sangiovese
- Oats Ends Tempranillo
- Peacetree Estate Tempranillo
- Redgate Cabernet Franc, Chenin Blanc
- Risky Business Malbec, Prosecco, Sangiovese, Tempranillo
- Rosabrook Tempranillo
- Settlers Ridge Chenin Blanc, Malbec, Sangiovese
- Snake and Herring Tempranillo
- Stella Bella Moscato, Sangiovese, Tempranillo
- Swooping Magpie Cabernet Franc
- Tassell Park Wines Chenin Blanc, Petit Verdot
- tripe.Escariot Malbec
- Victory Point Wines Malbec, Petit Verdot
- Wills Domain Vineyard Scheurebe
- Wines of Merritt Cabernet Franc, Chenin Blanc, Vermentino
- Wise Wine Fiano
- Wombat Lodge Malbec, Petit Verdot
- Woody Nook Chenin Blanc, Graciano, Tempranillo
- Xanadu Graciano, Malbec
- Watershed Wines Sangiovese, Zinfandel
Last Update 4 Jan 2020
Want to learn More About Australian Wine regions?
Click on the images above and right to find out more about these resources
Pictures from WA WIneries
visiting the Margaret River region
The Margaret River region consists of an area of land bounded on three sides by the Indian Ocean and Southern Oceans.
It is about a hundred kilometres from north to south, and about thirty east-west. The major towns are Busselton in the north, Margaret River in the middle and Augusta in the south. . Much of the Indian Ocean frontage of the region is protected by National Parks.
As well as being a great wine region to tour there are plenty of other attractions in the area. There are ample opportunities for surfing, coastal and bush walking, forest drives, whale watching and other outdoor pursuits.
Two lighthouses define the region. In the north is the Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse overlooking Geographe Bay.
In the South is the Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse marking the boundary between the Indian and Southern Oceans. Cape Leeuwin was named in honour of the Dutch ship Leeuwin which passed by in 1622.
There are many accommodation options in the region. These range from resorts, to motels cottages and camping grounds. Many vineyards have accommodation and dining facilities.
Use the box below to find the best deals on accommodation in the region
An Offer from our online Wine Shop Partner
This dozen contains 2 bottles from each of six different producers in several regions. It gives you a good overview of the styles of Australian Tempranillo.
Back to Australian Wine Regions Index
Was this info what you wanted?
Use the search box below to find more.
Before you go
Please subscribe to my newsletter...
I promise not to abuse your inbox. You will receive no more than three emails per month, most often just one, and you can unsubscribe at any time.