Margaret River Wine Region
This Australian wine region is about 300 km south of Perth in Western Australia. It is justly world famous famous for the quality of its Chardonnay and its Cabernet Sauvignon wines.
But there is more for the savvy visitor to this region ...
Some alternative varieties in the Margaret River Wine Region
History of the Margaret River Region
The wine region is relatively new, even by Australian standards. The first plantings took place in the 1960’s.
Len Evans in his 1973 opus Australia and New Zealand Complete Book of Wine refers to trial plantings in the region and predicts
“It remains to be seen as to how successful these areas could become.”
We can safely say that the jury has decided in this case.
A prediction from half a century ago
There are now well over one hundred wineries in the region. The best are achieving world recognition for the quality their Chardonnays and Cabernets.
Soon after the region was established Zinfandel and the old stalwarts of Western Australian white grapes - Chenin Blanc and Verdelho were comonly grown.
In more recent years Sangiovese, Tempranillo and other Mediterranean varieties have made their appearance.
Visitors to a vineyard in Margaret River. Photo from Margaret River Discovery Co
Alternative varieties in the Margaret River region
- Adinfern Malbec
- Amato Vino Arinto, Bastardo, Carignan, Fiano, Graciano, Nebbiolo, Sangiovese, Savagnin, Tempranillo, Tannat, Teroldego
- Aravina Chenin Blanc, Malbec, Tempranillo, Vermentino
- Arimia Petit Verdot, Zinfandel
- Arlewood Estate Nebbiolo
- Blind Corner Aligote, Chenin Blanc, Sangiovese
- Blue Poles Vineyard Fiano, Tempranillo, Teroldego
- Brookland Valley Malbec, Tempranillo, Touriga
- Brookwood Estate Chenin Blanc
- Bunkers Tempranillo
- Cape Grace Wines Cabernet Franc, Chenin Blanc, Malbec, Petit Verdot
- Cape Mentelle Marsanne, Roussanne, Sangiovese, Zinfandel
- Cape Naturaliste Malbec
- Carpe Diem Malbec, Nebbiolo, Sangiovese, Vermentino
- Celestial Bay Malbec, Petit Verdot, Ruby Cabernet
- Chalice Bridge Estate Savagnin
- Churchview Estate Chenin Blanc, Malbec, Marsanne, Zinfandel
- Cloudburst Malbec
- Credaro Estate Fragola, Gewurztraminer, Sangiovese
- Cullen Wines Malbec, Petit Verdot
- Deep Woods Estate Nebbiolo
- Della Fay Nebbiolo, Vermentino
- Domaine Naturaliste Tempranillo
- Dormilona Chenin Blanc, Tempranillo, Trebbiano
- Driftwood Malbec, Petit Verdot
- Evoi Malbec
- Fermoy Estate Chenin Blanc, Nebbiolo
- Fishbone Tempranillo
- Flametree Chenin Blanc, Malbec
- Flowstone Gewurztraminer, Savagnin, Touriga
- Flying Fish Cove Barbera, Chenin Blanc, Nebbiolo, Sangiovese, Vermentino
- Forester Estate Alicante Bouschet, Fer, Malbec, Petit Verdot
- Fraser Gallop Malbec
- Goon Tycoons Arneis, Chenin Blanc, Teroldego, Nebbiolo, Tempranillo
- Grace Farm Malbec
- Gralyn Estate Pedro Ximenez
- Green Valley Chenin Blanc
- Happs Bastardo, Cabernet Franc, Carignan, Chenin Blanc, Cinsaut, Furmint, Gamay, Graciano, Marsanne, Muscadelle, Nebbiolo, Tannat, Tinto Cao, Tempranillo, Vermentino
- Hay Shed Hill Wines Cabernet Franc, Malbec, Nebbiolo, Sangiovese, Tempranillo, Vermentino
- Higher Plane Fiano, Malbec
- House of Cards Malbec
- Howling Wolf Wines Sangiovese
- Island Brook Malbec, Tempranillo
- Jarvis Estate Cabernet Franc
- Jilyara Malbec
- Juniper Estate Fiano, Malbec, Tempranillo
- Kneedeep Chenin Blanc
- L A S Vino Nebbiolo, Souzao, Tinto Cao, Touriga,
- La Kooki Tempranillo
- Latitude 34 Tempranillo, Vermentino
- Lenton Brae Pinot Blanc
- LS Merchants Malbec, Petit Verdot, Touriga, Vermentino
- Marq Fiano, Gamay, Malbec, Petit Manseng, Tempranillo, Vermentino
- Marri Wood Park Chenin Blanc
- McHenry Hohnen Marsanne, Malbec, Petit Verdot, Roussanne, Tempranillo, Zinfandel
- Morlet Petit Verdot, Zinfandel
- Moss Brothers Chenin Blanc, Malbec
- Mr Barval Fine Wines Marsanne, Nebbiolo
- Night Harvest Alicante Bouschet
- Nocturne Nebbiolo, Sangiovese
- Oates Ends Tempranillo
- Palmer Wines Malbec
- Peacetree Estate Tempranillo
- Redgate Cabernet Franc, Chenin Blanc
- Risky Business Malbec, Prosecco, Sangiovese, Tempranillo
- Rosabrook Tempranillo
- Settlers Ridge Chenin Blanc, Malbec, Sangiovese
- Skigh Nebbiolo, Tempranillo
- Snake and Herring Tempranillo
- South by South West Chenin Blanc, Nebbiolo, Sangiovese, Tempranillo
- Stella Bella Moscato, Sangiovese, Tempranillo
- Swooping Magpie Cabernet Franc
- Tassell Park Wines Chenin Blanc, Petit Verdot
- tripe.Escariot Malbec
- Victory Point Wines Fiano, Malbec, nPetit Verdot
- Watershed Wines Sangiovese, Zinfandel
- Watson Family Wines Nebbiolo
- Wills Domain Vineyard Scheurebe
- Windows Estate Chenin Blanc, Malbec, Petit Verdot
- Wines of Merritt Cabernet Franc, Chenin Blanc, Vermentino
- Wise Wine Arneis, Fiano, Malbec, Verdejo
- Wombat Lodge Malbec, Petit Verdot
- Woody Nook Chenin Blanc, Graciano, Tempranillo
- Xanadu Graciano, Malbec
Last Update 23 June 2022
Want to learn More About Australian Wine regions?
Pictures from WA WIneries
visiting the Margaret River region
The Margaret River region consists of an area of land bounded on three sides by the Indian Ocean and Southern Oceans.
It is about a hundred kilometres from north to south, and about thirty east-west. The major towns are Busselton in the north, Margaret River in the middle and Augusta in the south. . Much of the Indian Ocean frontage of the region is protected by National Parks.
As well as being a great wine region to tour there are plenty of other attractions in the area. There are ample opportunities for surfing, coastal and bush walking, forest drives, whale watching and other outdoor pursuits.
Two lighthouses define the region. In the north is the Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse overlooking Geographe Bay.
In the South is the Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse marking the boundary between the Indian and Southern Oceans. Cape Leeuwin was named in honour of the Dutch ship Leeuwin which passed by in 1622.
There are many accommodation options in the region. These range from resorts, to motels cottages and camping grounds. Many vineyards have accommodation and dining facilities.
Use the box below to find the best deals on accommodation in the region
An Offer from our online Wine Shop Partner
Med Red offer. Includes two bottles of each of six wines, different producers, different regions, different alternative varieties and blends. Plus a bonus bottle. All at an affordable price.
Back to Australian Wine Regions Index
Sign up to Darby's Wine Newsletter to receive all the latest news, updates to this site and special offers plus invites to exclusive events.
Was this info what you wanted?
Use the search box below to find more.