Arneis wine variety
elegant Italian white wine grape variety is creating a buzz in Australia. I regard it as being among the top four new white varieties in Australia.
The other three? I say that Fiano, Savagnin and Vermentino also have a great future here.
Arneis plantings in the vineyards of the King Valley of North East Victoria,
in the Mornington Peninsula and the Riverland Wine region of South Australia
have now been in production for quite a few years. The quality of the wines produced in these areas has encouraged other growers to try this variety.
We are now seeing more and more Australian winemakers and consumers sharing the enthusiasm for these wines.
The flavour of Arneis wine
Perfume, fruity, apples, pears, white grapefruit, floral, citrus, anise, hint of herbs...
These are the flavours you can expect in this superb Italian variety according to
De Long's Wine Grape Varietal Table
its native Piedmont Arneis produces elegant white wines with powerful aromas
of almonds and peaches. The variety was much less popular in the 1970s, but has undergone quite a revival since then.
Compare Prices of Arneis Wines
Use this link to find online and physical stores near you who stock Arneis
wine. You can read reviews and compare prices.
The variety presents some problems in the vineyard, but better clones and handling
have seen Arneis wines become more popular. Interestingly, small quantities
of Arneis have been used traditionally in Piedmont as blending material
for the red variety Nebbiolo.
Arneis wines in Australia can be a little neutral, perhaps because most wvineyards are relatively young. But
at their best these wines can be complex and aromatic and redolent of
almonds, pears, peaches and honey. Usually As aromatic white wine it is best served when it is young and fresh, but I have enjoyed Crittenden's with a few years of age.
Arneis in Australia
These Australia wineries are using this variety...
- Adelina Wines Adelaide Hills
- Amadio Adelaide Hills
- Bawley Vale Estate Shoalhaven Coast
- Beechtree Wines McLaren Vale
- Berrima Estate Southern Highlands
- Bird in Hand Adelaide Hills
- Box Stallion Mornington Peninsula
- Brown Brothers King Valley
- Catherine Vale VineyardHunter Valley
- Centennial Vineyards Southern Highlands
- Chrismont King Valley
- Coombe Farm Vineyard Yarra Valley
- Crittenden at Dromana Mornington Peninsula
- Crooked River Wines Shoalhaven Coast
- Cupitt's Winery Shoalhaven Coast
- Dal Zotto Estate King Valley
- De Bortoli Riverina
- Dromana Estate Mornington Peninsula
- Dunn's Creek Winery Mornington Peninsula
- First Drop Barossa Valley
- Fowles Wine Strathbogie Ranges
- G Pattriti & Co McLaren Vale
- Helen's Hill Estate Yarra Valley
- Holm Oak Northern Tasmania
- Jacobs Creek Barossa Valley
- K1 by Geoff Hardy Adelaide Hills
- Kingston Estate Riverland
- Kirrihill Adelaide Hills
- La Bise Adelaide Hills
- Lazzar Wines Mornington Peninsula
- Mac Forbes Wines Yarra Valley
- Millbrook Winery Perth Hills
- Mountain Ridge South Coast Zone
- Mt Billy Southern Fleurieu
- Ochota Barrels Adelaide Hills
- Parish Hill Wines Adelaide Hills
- Pizzini Wines King Valley
- Port Phillip Estate Mornington Peninsula
- Rochford Wines Yarra Valley
- Ross Hill Wines Orange
- Rutherglen Estates Rutherglen
- Sam Miranda Wines King Valley
- Sassy Wines Orange
- Settlement Wines McLaren Vale
- Symphonia King Valley
- Tempus Two Hunter Valley
- Ten Miles East Adelaide Hills
- Tertini Wines Southern Highlands
- Thick as Theives Yarra Valley
- Toombullup North King Valley
- Vale Creek Wines Central Ranges Zone
- Vale Vineyard Mornington Peninsula
- View Road Wines Adelaide Hills
- Vineyard 28 Geographe
- Wirra Wirra McLaren Vale
- Yacca Paddock Vineyards Adelaide Hills
- Yandoit Hill Winery Bendigo
- Yarraloch Yarra Valley
- Zerella Wines McLaren Vale
- Zonte's Footstep Langhorne Creek
Some Award Wining Wines From This Variety
At the 2014 Australian Alterantive Varieties Wine Show First Drop
were awarded Gold Medals.
In previous years at the AAVWS gold medals have been won by G. Patritti & Co. Arneis, K1 by Geoff Hardy Arneis, Rutherglen Estates Arneis, and Vineyard 28 The Alternative Arneis.
Arneis and Food Pairing
Wines made from the Arneis grape are ideal accompaniments to seafoods,
antipasti and salads.
In his book The Winelover Cooks Italian Brian St Pierre suggests pasta with squid or octopus.
See this article about the future of Arneis in Australia as one of four new varietal white wines.
Keep in touch with Vinodiversity
Just enter your details below and you will receive an occasional newsletter letting you know all about the alternative varietal wine scene in Australia and beyond.