fiano WHite Wine Variety
Is Fiano the most outstanding of all of the new white wine varieties in Australia?
The other contenders are Arneis, Gruner Veltliner, Petit Manseng, Savagnin and Vermentino.
As at the end of the 2106 I reckon Fiano is ahead. But it is a tight race.
Your first lesson about Fiano from Jancis Robinson
Fiano in Italy
Fiano is a strongly flavoured white grape variety which is used to make the highly regarded Fiano di Avellino in Campania in Southern Italy. Avellino is a wine region in the hills inland from Naples.
Fiano is also grown in other southern Italian regions such as Basilicata and the Salentine Peninsula in Puglia.
Source: Fix.com Blog
Fiano IN Australia
There is a small but steadily growing number of producers of Fiano in Australia. This is likely to continue over the next few years as more and more grape growers and wineries react to the problems of climate change by using Southern Italian grape varieties.
The time of vintage has been much earlier than usual in many recent years. Later maturing varieites are more suited to warmer areas as the grapes are able to ripen with a better balance of sugar, acid and flavouring compounds in cooler times.
It seems that South Australian winemakers are especially keen on the variety, taking the lead from Coriole who pioneered the Fiano in Australia.
Fiano has had its own class at the Australian Alternative Varieties Wine Show (AAVWS) since 2009. In the most recent show, just seven years later in 2016, there were 44 wines judged.
Learn More about Grape varieties
De Long's Wine Grape Varietal Table
Get your copy of
De Long's Wine Grape Varietal Table
Australian Producers of Fiano
Some award winning Wines
At the 2016 AAVWS 44 Fiano Wines were judged.
Seven gold medals, three silvers and twenty-one bronze medals were awarded.
The winners of gold medals were
- Alex Russell Alejandro 2016 Fiano
- Collins and Co 2016 Fiano
- Coriole 2016 Fiano
- Higher Plane 2016 Fiano
- Pikes 2016 Luccio Fiano
- Saltram 2016 Winemakers Selection Fiano
- Symphony Hill 2016 Fiano
If you'd like to try some Fiano this online merchant will have some of the best, so you can make a mixed case to compare.
- Alex Russell Wines Riverland
- Amato Vino Margaret River
- Artwine Adelaide Hills
- Ballandeen Estate Granite Belt
- Banrock Station Riverland
- Bassham Riverland
- Beach Road Langhorne Creek
- Bike and Barrel Alpine Valleys
- Bilgavia Wines Hunter Valley
- Billy Button Alpine Valleys
- Blue Poles Vineyard Margaret River
- Bremerton Langhorne Creek
- Chalmers Heathcote
- Chrismont King Valley
- Cirami Estate Riverland
- Collins and Co Wines Mount Benson
- Comans and Co Hunter Valley
- Coriole McLaren Vale
- Dell'uva Wines Barossa Valley
- Drakesbrook Wines Peel
- Dryridge Estate Central Ranges Zone
- Foster e Rocco Heathcote
- Fox Gordon Barossa Valley
- Galli Estate Heathcote
- Gapsted Alpine Valleys
- Grand Casino Riverland
- Green Door Wines Geographe
- Hand Crafted by Geoff Hardy McLaren Vale
- Hart and Hunter Hunter Valley
- Heritage Estate Granite Belt
- Higher Plane Margaret River
- Jacobs Creek Barossa Valley
- Jericho Adelaide hills
- Jones Winery and Vineyard Rutherglen
- Juniper Estate Margaret River
- K1 by Geoff Hardy Adelaide Hills
- Kangarilla Road McLaren Vale
- Karanto Vineyards Langhorne Creek
- Kirrihill Estates Clare Valley
- L’Enologa Murray Darling
- Larry Cherubino Margaret River
- Lino Ramble McLaren Vale
- Marq Margaret River
- Montevecchio Heathcote
- Morrisons of Glenrowan Glenrowan
- Mount Eyre Vineyards Hunter Valley
- Oak Valley Estate Murray Darling
- Oatley Wines Mudgee
- Olivers Taranga McLaren Vale
- Out of Step Yarra Valley
- Parish Hill Wines Adelaide Hills
- Pikes Clare Valley
- Redbank Victoria King Valley
- Rutherglen Estates Rutherglen
- Salena Estate Riverland
- Saltram Barossa Valley
- SAMU Riverland
- Santa d’Sas King Valley
- Sassafras Canberra
- Savina Lane Granite Belt
- Scott and La Prova Adelaide Hills
- Seaview McLaren Vale
- Section 45 Adelaide Hills
- Serafino Wines McLaren Vale
- Signor Vino Riverina
- Stefano di Pieri Murray Darling
- Stomp Hunter Valley
- Summit Estate Granite Belt
- Sutton Grange Winery Bendigo
- Symphony Hill Wines Granite Belt
- Taylors Clare Valley
- Tellurian Heathcote
- Travertine Estate Hunter Valley
- Unico Zelo Adelaide Hills
- Vigna Bottin McLaren Vale
- Wise Wine Margaret River
- Witches Falls Winery Granite Belt
- Zarella McLaren Vale
What does Fiano Taste like?
De Long's Wine Grape Varietal Table lists the variety as having the potential to produce light weight wines of moderate to high acidity.
The flavour profile is described as
Nutty, herbal, aromatic, with smoky spicy notes and hazelnuts
In her latest book Vine Grapes Jancis Robinson describes the variety as
Rich waxy, strongly flavoured fashionable...
Fiano and Food
These crisp dry white wines can be paired with a range of foods. Try them with seafood, pasta dishes or other Italian style cuisine.
Try Fiano with pan fried King George whiting and chips.
Brian St Pierre in this book suggests that Fiano is one white wine variety that goes well with dishes normally associated with red wines such as stuffed eggplant, or rolled veal birds.
Before you go
Please subscribe to my newsletter...
I promise not to abuse your inbox. You will receive no more than three emails per month, most often just one, and you can unsubscribe at any time.