Mclaren Vale Wine Region
The McLaren Vale Wine Region is blessed with a wonderful climate for viticulture. it has rolling hills and a variety of suitable soils for grapegrowing and the cooling influence of the Southern Ocean.
The rolling hills of Mclaren Vale facing the Gulf of Saint Vincent
McLaren Vale is located just south of Adelaide in South Australia.
It is part of the Fleurieu Zone along with the Currency Creek, Langhorne Creek, Kangaroo Island and Southern Fleurieu wine regions.
Situated on rolling plains between the Mount Lofty Ranges and the sea, the area is warm enough to ripen almost all varieties, but the maritime influence tempers the worst of the summer heat. No wonder there are more than a hundred wineries operating in the region, and most are producing excellent wine.
The climate also suits olives and a few wineries have a sideline of producing olive oil.
The location so close to the State capital is a mixed blessing. While it is easy for visitors to come from Adelaide the region is under threat of being encroached on by suburban development from nearby Adelaide.
Want to learn More About Australian Wine regions?
Click on the images above and right to find out more about these resources
Wine varieties in Mclaren Vale
The benign viticultural environment here is suitable for many varieties and until recently the region was best known for its red wines, notably Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon as well its Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre (GSM) blends.
But now the region is abuzz with a whole range of new varieties. In the 1990s a few wineries such as Coriole broke out of the traditional mould and started producing wine from Italian varieites notably Sangiovese. Early in the current century a whole new wave of alternative varieties have been introduced and are now flourishing.
For example Coriole were the first winery to release Fiano in Australia, while their neighbours at Olivers Taranga Vineyards are the first with the Galician variety Mencia.
McLaren Vale now has an amazing culture of innovative winemakers introducing new varieties, new winemaking techniques (or reviving ancient ones like amphora fermentation) and creating groundbreaking marketing methods.
Buying some wine from Mclaren Vale
Wines from this region widely available but Wine Selectors have a great range. You can get a mixed case, from as many different producers as you like from them. Conveniently delivered to your door in juts one transaction.
Why not browse their McLaren Vale range now?
- Aldinga Bay Barbera, Petit verdot, Nebbiolo, Ruby Cabernet, Sangiovese, Vermentino
- Alpha Box and Dice Barbera, Dolcetto, Muscadelle, Nebbiolo, Sangiovese, Tinta Negra Mole, Tempranillo
- Aphelion Sagrantino
- Battle of Bosworth Wines Graciano, Touriga
- Beechtree Wines Arneis, Marsanne, Petit verdot
- Bent Creek Vineyards Moscato, Rossola nera,
- Brash Higgins Nero d'Avola
- Byrne and Smith Cabernet franc, Tempranillo
- Cape Barren Wines Gruner Veltliner
- Chalk Hill Winery Barbera, Cabernet franc, Moscato, Sangiovese, Tempranillo, Vermentino
- Chapel Hill Roussanne, Sangiovese, Savagnin, Tempranillo, Vermentino
- Coates Wines Malbec, Sangiovese, Touriga
- Conte Estate Wines Aglianico, Gewurztraminer, Lagrein, Vermentino
- Coriole Barbera, Chenin blanc, Fiano, Nebbiolo, Nero d'Avola, Picpoil, Prosecco, Sangiovese, Sagrantino
- Cradle of Hills Aglianico, Cinsaut
- D'Arenberg Aglianico, Arneis, Chambourcin, Cinsaut, Marsanne, Petit verdot, Roussanne, Sagrantino, Sousao, Tempranillo, Tinto Cao
- Doc Adams Savagnin, Tempranillo
- Dowie Doole Chenin blanc, Graciano, Petit verdot, Tempranillo, Vermentino
- ess&see Sangiovese, Tempranillo, Vermentino
- Five Geese Hillgrove Wines Nero d'Avola
- Five o'Clock Project Durif, Montepulciano, Nero d'Avola, Sagrantino, Sangiovese, Tannat, Touriga, Vermentino,
- Foggo Wines Cinsaut
- Fox Creek Wines Nero d'Avola, Vermentino
- G Pattriti & Co Arneis, Barbera, Moscato, Savagnin, Saperavi, Trincadeira
- Gemtree Vineyards Savagnin, Tempranillo
- Gilligan Marsanne, Roussanne
- Graham Stevens wines Tempranillo
- Hand Crafted by Geoff Hardy Fiano, Graciano, Lagrein, Roussanne, Savagnin, Tannat, Tempranillo, Teroldego, Zinfandel
- Handcock and Handcock Touriga
- Hastwell and Lightfoot Cabernet franc, Tempranillo, Vermentino
- Head in the Clouds Graciano
- Hedonist wines Sangiovese, Tempranillo
- Hither and Yon Aglianico, Nero d'Avola, Tannat, Tempranillo
- Hugh Hamilton Petit verdot, Sangiovese, Saperavi, Tempranillo
- Inkwell Tempranillo, Zinfandel
- Kangarilla Road Fiano, Sangiovese, Savagnin, Tinta Negra Mole, Vermentino, Zinfandel
- Kay Bros Amery Nero d'Avola
- Koltz Sagrantino, Sangiovese
- La Curio Aglianico, Sangiovese, Zinfandel
- Lino Ramble Bastardo, Fiano, Marsanne, Nero d'Avola, Roussanne
- Loom Gruner Veltliner
- Maximus Wines Graciano, Tempranillo
- Maxwell Wines Malbec
- Middlebrook Estate Barbera, Sangiovese
- Ministry of Clouds Tempranillo
- Mitolo Malbec, Sagrantino, Sangiovese, Vermentino
- Mr Riggs Wine Company Montepulciano, Petit verdot, Tempranillo
- Nashwauk Tempranillo
- Olivers Taranga Fiano, Mencia, Sagrantino, Tempranillo, Vermentino
- Oxenbury Estate Tempranillo
- Paxton Graciano, Tempranillo
- Pertaringa Aglianico, Graciano, Nero d'Avola, Petit verdot, Tannat, Tempranillo
- Pirramimma Chenin blanc, Colombard, Petit verdot, Tannat
- Possums Vineyard Malbec
- Primo Estate Barbera, Colombard, Gargenega, Nebbiolo, Sangiovese
- Renards Folly Sangiovese
- Richard Hamilton Wines Marsanne, Roussanne
- Rudderless Wines Graciano, Malbec
- Sabella Wines Aglianico, Colorino, Nero d'Avola
- Samuels Gorge Graciano, Tempranillo
- SC Pannell Nebbiolo, Tempranillo, Touriga
- Scarpantoni Estate Aglianico, Barbera, Chenin blanc, Durif, Gamay, Pinot blanc
- Seaview Barbera, Fiano, Nebbiolo, Sangiovese, Tempranillo, Vermentino
- Serafino Wines Barbera, Fiano, Lagrein, Montepulcano, Nebbiolo, Tempranillo, Vermentino, Zinfandel
- Sherrah Fiano, Nero d'Avola
- Tapestry Touriga
- The Hedonist Sangiovese, Tempranillo
- Three Dark Horses Touriga
- Vigna Bottin Barbera, Fiano, Nero d'Avola, Sangiovese, Vermentino
- Way Wood Wines Cabernet franc, Montepulciano, Nebbiolo, Sangiovese, Tempranillo
- Willunga 100 Wines Tempranillo
- Wirra Wirra Tempranillo, Touriga
- Woodstock Dolcetto, Lagrein, Montepulciano, Tempranillo
- Yangarra Estate Cinsaut, Carignan, Graciano, Roussanne, Tempranillo
- Zarella Arneis, Barbera, Fiano, Nero d'Avola, Sangiovese
Visiting Mclaren vale
This region is easily reached as a day trip from Adelaide. But you will enjoy your time here more if you stay for a couple of nights. After all there are dozens of cellar doors to visit and the scenery is gorgeous.
You will find plenty of restaurants and pubs serving the local wine as well.
Use the search box below to check out the accommodation options for your visit
Before you go
Please subscribe to my newsletter...
I promise not to abuse your inbox. You will receive no more than three emails per month, most often just one, and you can unsubscribe at any time.