Durif red wine variety in Australia
Durif is famous in Australia for producing robust red wines. In California is better known as Petite Sirah.
The origins and Identity of Durif
This red wine grape from the Rhone Valley is not highly regarded in its native France. It is named after its breeder who established the variety in the late nineteenth century.
It was introduced into Australia by pioneering Victorian viticulturalist Francois de Castella in 1908.
The variety is planted in California under the name of Petite Sirah where there has been some confusion about the variety. Many Californian vineyards have proved to be field blends of Durif and another variety called Pelourisin.
Californian enthusiasts have created a group called PS I Love You to promote and educate about the variety.
More recent DNA Analysis has shown that Durif is in fact a cross of Syrah (Shiraz) and Pelourisin. Its resemblance to both of its parents has of doubt caused some of the confusion.
In Australia, the CSIRO uses DNA fingerprinting to clear up confusion about similar grape varieties. They report that the grapes imported to Australia are indeed Durif and not Peloursin.
Durif In Australia
In Australia the variety is most commonly associated with Rutherglen in North Eastern Victoria.
The Rutherglen Wine Region built its reputation around fortified wines - Port, Muscat and Tokay - as we misnamed them until fairly recently. There were also plenty of big age-worthy reds with plenty (probably too much) of body, oak, tannins and alcohol. Durif and Shiraz were the varieties used in these wines.
The wine styles now have probably toned down a little since the 1960s, but these are still impressive wines.
As well as red wines Durif is used, of the blended with Shiraz, to make sparkling red wine.
The list below shows that Rutherglen does not have a monopoly on the variety. It is used in quite a few of Australia's warm climate wine regions, as well as at least one cooler region.
Where Durif is made in Australia
- 919 Wines Riverland
- Acres Wilde Glenrowan
- Alejandro Riverland
- All Saints Estate Rutherglen
- Anderson Winery Rutherglen
- Andrew Peace Wines Swan Hill
- Aramis Hunter Valley
- Arlo Vintners Rutherglen
- ATR Wines Grampians
- Atze's Corner Wines Barossa Valley
- Bailey's of Glenrowan Glenrowan
- Ballycroft Barossa Valley
- Baratto Wines Riverina
- Berton Vineyards Riverina
- Billy Button Alpine Valleys
- Brown Brothers King Valley
- Brumby Wines Swan Hill
- Bullers Calliope Rutherglen
- Bush Track Wine Alpine Valleys
- Calabria Family Wines Riverina
- Calico Town Rutherglen
- Campbells Wines Rutherglen
- Cape Horn Vineyard Goulburn Valley
- Capercaillie Hunter Valley
- Captain Barossa Barossa Valley
- Chambers Rosewood Rutherglen
- Charles Cimicky Barossa Valley
- Ciavarella King Valley
- Cirami Estate Riverland
- Cofield Wines Rutherglen
- Countertop Swan Hill
- Curtis Family Vineyards McLaren Vale
- Date Brothers Swan Hill
- Dee Vine Estate Riverina
- Dell'uva Wines Barossa Valley
- Domaine Asmara Heathcote
- Eldorado Road North East Victoria
- Faber Vineyard Swan Valley
- Fairbrossen Perth Hills
- Feathertop Alpine Valleys
- Five O’Clock Somewhere McLaren Vale
- Flying Duck Estate King Valley
- Folino Estate Alpine Valleys
- Fratelli Heathcote
- Gapsted Wines Alpine Valleys
- Glenbosch Estate Rutherglen
- Golden Grove Estate Granite Belt
- John Gehrig Wines King Valley
- Kabminye Wines Barossa Valley
- Kaesler Barossa Valley
- Kalleske Wines Barossa Valley
- Lake Moodemere Rutherglen
- Lambert Estate Barossa Valley
- Lion Mill Vineyards Perth Hills
- Lost Penny Barossa Valley
- Mandalay Road Geographe
- Massena Wines Barossa Valley
- McWilliams Riverina
- Memento Wines Rutherglen
- Michael Unwin Wines Grampians
- Millbrook Winery Perth Hills
- Monichino Wines Goulburn Valley
- Morris Rutherglen
- Morrisons of Glenrowan Glenrowan
- Mount Buff Wines Alpine Valleys
- Mount Pilot Estate North East Victoria
- Mount Prior Rutherglen
- Mount View Estate Hunter Valley
- Mudgee Wines Mudgee
- Mundoo Ridge Riverland
- Murray Estate Big Rivers Zone
- Myattsfield Vineyard and Winery Perth Hills
- Noble Red Heathcote
- Nugan Estate Riverina
- Oak Works Riverland
- Olive Farm Swan District
- Olive Farm Wines Swan Valley
- Olive Hills Estate Rutherglen
- Oxenbury Beechworth
- Patrice Winery North East Victoria
- Petersons Glenesk Estate Mudgee
- Pieter van Gent Mudgee
- Pinelli Swan Valley
- Pyren Vineyard Pyrenees
- Quarisa Riverina
- Reedy Creek New England
- Rolf Binder Barossa Valley
- Rusticana Langhorne Creek
- Rutherglen Estates Rutherglen
- Sam Miranda Wines King Valley
- Santolin Yarra Valley
- Scarpantoni Estate McLaren Vale
- Scion Vineyard Rutherglen
- Spook Hill Wines Riverland
- Spring Spur Alpine Valleys
- St Annes Vineyards Perricoota
- St Leonards Rutherglen
- Stanton and Killeen Wines Rutherglen
- Starrs Reach Riverland
- Steinborner Family Vineyards Barossa Valley
- Taminick Cellars Glenrowan
- Tawonga Vineyard Alpine Valleys
- Tempus Two Hunter Valley
- Tenafeate Creek Wines Adelaide Plains
- Thomas New England Estate New England
- Toorak Winery Riverina
- Trahna Rutherglen Wines Rutherglen
- Trimboli Riverina
- Underground Winemakers Mornington Peninsula
- Valhalla Rutherglen
- Vanden Murray Darling
- Warburn Estate Riverina
- Warrabilla Wines Rutherglen
- Witches Falls Winery Granite Belt
- Yacca Paddock Vineyards Adelaide Hills
- Yarran Wines Riverina
Updated 30 May 2023
Durif red wine made by the innovative Boy Meets Girl.
Durif and food
This variety makes full bodied wines so you might enjoy Durif with rich, meaty stews and game dishes. For example, you might like to try my recipe for Braised Oxtail with Black Olives.
Grilled and barbecued meats are another option, but probably not fish or seafood
With cheeses you might like consider something from the hard section. Aged vintage cheddar, Spanish manchego, or the Italian Piave.
Evan Goldstein includes Durif, under its American name Petite Sirah in his book Daring Pairings.
You might like these
Alicante Bouschet is an unusual wine variety that has coloured flesh and juice as well as skins
Carignan red wine variety, origin, history and Australian producers
Touriga Nacional Wine Variety in Australia, description and producers
Sign up to Darby's Wine Newsletter to receive all the latest news, updates to this site and special offers plus invites to exclusive events.
Was this info what you wanted?
Use the search box below to find more.