Geographe Wine Region in Western Australia
The Geographe Wine Region
faces Geographe Bay in the Indian Ocean of the south-west coast of Western
Australia. The major commercial centre is the City of Bunbury, with other major towns being the Busselton,
Capel, Collie and Donnybrook.
Under Australia's Geographic Indications system Geographe is an officially endorsed wine region of the
South West Australia Zone.
To the north is the Peel Wine Region, to the south west is
Margaret River, and to
the south east, over the Darling Range is the Blackwood Valley wine region.
The unusual name for the Geographe region is worth a comment. The region takes its name from
Geographe Bay which in turn is named after Le Geographe, a French ship which was a part of a scientific
and geographic expedition in the early years of the 19th Century.
The climate is obviously influenced by the warm waters of the Indian Ocean. The main geographic
feature of the region is the Darling Range which runs parallel to the coast and is dissected by a number
of river valleys. This topography gives rise to a considerable number of soil types and
microclimates, hence quite a variation in terroir.
The oldest and best known winery is Capel Vale which was established in the mid 1970s. Over the next few
years other vineyards in the region were established, quite a few by larger WA wine producers who took the
grapes for vinification elsewhere. Several of the grapegrowers in the region started keeping some fruit
to make their own wine and thus new wineries were established. There are now over thirty wineries in
Chenin blanc is a common variety throughout Western Australia and the variety is well represented
Angelicus Wines in this region are using Verdejo, the white variety from Rueda, Spain. It is quite distinct from the more widley planted Verdelho.
Tempranillo, Barbera and Zinfandel are the most popular of the alternative
Wineries in the Geographe Wine Region and Alternative Varieties
- Angelicus Grenache, Mourvedre, Tempranillo, Verdejo
- Bakkheia Graciano, Grenache, Mourvedre, Tempranillo
- Barrecas Barbera, Malbec, Sangiovese, Zinfandel
- Blackboy Ridge Estate Chenin blanc
- Brookhampton Estate Grenache, Tempranillo, Viognier
- Capel Vale Chenin blanc, Nebbiolo, Petit verdot, Sangiovese, Tempranillo, Verdelho, Viognier
- Carlaminda Estate Chenin blanc, Nebbiolo, Tempranillo, Viognier
- Donnybrook Estate Barbera, Cinsaut, Graciano, Grenache, Tempranillo, Verdelho, Zinfandel
- Ferguson Falls Winery Tempranillo, Nebbiolo
- Geographe Wines Nebbiolo, Sangiovese, Tempranillo
- Green Door Wines Fiano, Grenache, Mourvedre, Tempranillo, Verdelho
- Hackersley Mondeuse, Petit verdot, Verdelho
- Harris River Estate Verdelho, Viognier
- Idylwild Wines Chenin blanc
- Kotai Estate Barbera, Cabernet franc, Chenin blanc
- Mandalay Road Durif, Moscato, Zinfandel
- Mazza Bastardo, Graciano, Sousao, Tempranillo, Tinto Cao, Touriga
- Myalup Wines Chenin blanc
- Oakway Estate Moscato, Viognier
- Pepperilly Estate Wines Grenache, Mourvedre, Viognier
- Talisman Wines Malbec, Zinfandel
- Thomson Brook Wines Barbera, Verdelho
- Vasse River Wines Tempranillo, Verdelho
- Vineyard 28 Arneis, Chenin blanc, Moscato, Nebbiolo
- Willow Bridge Estate Chenin blanc, Tempranillo, Viognier
- Wordsworth Wines Chenin blanc, Petit verdot, Verdelho, Zinfandel
- Wovenfield Tempranillo, Viognier, Verdelho
- Yokain Vineyard Estate Verdelho, Zinfandel
Where can you buy these wines?
Try this search engine
. You can enter your location and find retailers near you.
Keep in touch with Vinodiversity
Just enter your details below and you will receive an occasional newsletter letting you know all about the alternative varietal wine scene in Australia and beyond.