Granite Belt Wine Region Wineries and Varieties
The Granite Belt Wine Region, stretching along the New England Highway near Stanthorpe in South Eastern Queensland is a rapidly emerging wine region.
It comes as a surprise to most people that the Sunshine State should have a serious wine industry.
The popular image of Queensland is of a warm to hot climate with beaches, rainforest, holiday islands and the Great Barrier Reef,
or else we think of the hot interior and cattle country. Neither image seems to include vineyards.
A wine map of
But in the Great Dividing Range a couple of hundred kilometres south west of Brisbane there is an area eminently suited to wine.
Because of the altitude, 800-1000 metres, the winters are quite cold, and the summers are not as fiercely hot as the plains in the interior. Spring frosts are the main
viticultural hazard of this region as well as damaging hailstorms over the summer months. It can be argued the area should be regarded as a cool climate rather than warm climate wine region.
The Granite Belt abuts the New South Wales border to the south, where the wine country continues in the New England Wine Region.
The main commercial centre is Stanthorpe. The area has had some vineyards for many years, however serious commercial production really only started in the 1980s.
There is a rapidly growing number of wineries in the region and just over half of them are growing alternative varieties.
Much experimentation is still needed, but it seems that varieties which are traditionally associated with cooler areas will do well here.
Granitic soils are typically sandy and well drained, which is good for viticulture. Some enthusiasts claim that the mineral composition of the soil gives the wines a 'flinty' character.
Wineries in the Granite Belt Wine Region Using Alternative Varieties
- Ambar Hill Verdelho
- Aventine Wines Nebbiolo, Sangiovese
- Back Pocket Fiano, Graciano, Tempranillo
- Bald Mountain Verdelho
- Ballandeen Estate Chenin blanc, Malbec, Nebbiolo, Sylvaner, Viognier
- Banca Ridge Marsanne, Tempranillo
- Bent Road Wines Marsanne, Verdelho
- Bents Road Marsanne, Verdelho
- Boireann Barbera, Grenache, Mourvedre, Nebbiolo, Petit verdot, Tannat, Viognier
- Bungawarra Gewurztraminer, Malbec
- Casley Mount Hutton Winery Chenin blanc
- Catspaw Farm Barbera, Chambourcin, Roussanne, Sangiovese
- Cypress Post Marsanne, Viognier
- Felsberg Winery Gewurztraminer, Sylvaner
- Golden Grove Estate Barbera, Durif, Malbec, Nero d'Avola, Tempranillo, Vermentino
- Girraween Estate Petit verdot, Verdelho
- Granite Ridge Wines Petit verdot, Pinot gris, Ruby Cabernet, Tempranillo, Verdelho
- Harrington Glen Estate Verdelho
- Heritage Estate Cabernet franc, Durif, Tempranillo, Verdelho
- Hidden Creek Gewurztraminer, Marsanne, Nebbiolo, Tempranillo, Verdelho
- Jester Hill Wines Tempranillo, Verdelho
- Kominos Wines Chenin blanc
- Lucas Estate Tempranillo, Verdelho
- Mary Byrnes Wines Grenache, Marsanne, Mourvedre, Roussanne, Viognier
- Mason Wines Petit verdot, Verdelho, Viognier
- Old Caves Zinfandel
- Preston Peak Sagrantino, Verdelho
- Pyramids Road Wines Mourvedre, Verdelho
- Ravens Croft Wines Gewurztraminer, Petit verdot, Pinotage, Verdelho
- Ridgemill Estate Jacquez, Lagrein, Mourvedre, Pinot gris, Saperavi, Tempranillo, Verdelho, Viognier
- Robert Channon Verdelho
- Rumbarella Tempranillo, Verdelho
- Severn Brae Estate Sangiovese, Verdelho
- Stone Ridge Marsanne, Viognier
- Summit Estate Malbec, Marsanne, Petit verdot, Tempranillo, Verdelho, Zinfandel
- Symphony Hill Wines Mondeuse, Moscato paradiso, Picpoul, Pinot gris, Tannat, Tempranillo, Verdelho, Viognier
- Tobin Wines Tempranillo, Verdelho
- Whiskey Gully Wines Colombard
- Windemere Wines Sangiovese
- Winewood Marsanne, Viognier
- Witches Falls Winery Durif, Fiano, Grenache, Marsanne, Viognier
The Granite Belt offers hotels, motels, apartments, cottages, B&Bs and caravan and camping parks. There are restaurants and shops which proudly feature the local produce.
Rather than present you with a list of links to Granite Belt accommodation sites
I suggest that you use Vinodiversity's Granite Belt accommodation finder
That way you will get the latest info and will be able to make an informed decision about accommodation. The choice is yours.