Mudgee Wine Region
Mudgee is yet another Australian wine region whose history can be divided into two distinct phases, the first during the gold era in the middle 19th Century and a second modern phase dating from the 1960s.
Di Lusso Estate Winery in Mudgee
Mudgee is on the inland side of the Great Dividing Range about 250km West of Sydney. Its location is just across the Divide from the Hunter Valley, but the climate in Mudgee is much more continental. The altitude of the region, about 450m means that it escapes the severe heat that might otherwise be experienced in such a northerly location.
Although this is by no means a cool climate region, its vintage is a full month behind that in the Hunter Valley. There are about forty wineries in operation here, some have affiliations in the Hunter Valley, but many are quite small.
Di Lusso Estate and Lowe Family Wines are among the standout varietal pioneers in the Mudgee region with emphasis on Italian varieties. Vinifera Estate have gone down the Spanish road with Tempranillo and Graciano, while Mansfield wines have placed more emphasis on some interesting Portuguese varieties.
NSW Wineries on Pinterest
Alternative varieties in Mudgee
- Blacklea Muscadelle
- Burrendulla Sangiovese, Tempranillo
- Di Lusso Estate Aglianico, Aleatico, Arneis, Barbera, Greco, Lagrein, Moscato, Nebbiolo, Picolit, Prosecco, Sangiovese, Vermentino
- Elliot Rocke Estate Gewurztraminer
- Ernest Schuetz Wines Chambourcin, Moscato
- First Ridge Barbera, Fiano, Sangiovese, Tempranillo, Vermentino
- Gilbert by Simon Gilbert Barbera, Sangiovese
- Heslop Wines Sangiovese, Tinto Cao, Touriga, Zinfandel
- Logan Wines Gewurztraminer, Moscato, Tempranillo
- Louee Wines Cabernet Franc, Nebbiolo, Petit Verdot
- Lowe Family Wines Barbera, Roussanne, Sangiovese, Zinfandel
- Mansfield Wines Fiano, Gamay, Malbec, Petit Manseng, Tempranillo, Vermentino
- Miramar Gewurztraminer
- Mongrel Vineyard Barbera, Sangiovese, Tempranillo, Zinfandel
- Mudgee Homestead Estate Negroamaro
- Mudgee Wines Durif, Gewurztraminer, Negroamaro, Zinfandel
- Oatley Wines Barbera, Fiano, Tempranillo,
- Optimiste Petit Verdot, Tempranillo,
- Petersons Glenesk Estate Chambourcin, Durif, Gewurztraminer, Malbec, Marsanne, Moscato, Petit Verdot, Vermentino, Zinfandel
- Pieter van Gent Durif, Muller Thurgau, Sangiovese
- Poet's Corner Barbera, Sangiovese
- Robert Stein Montepulciano
- Skimstone Barbera, Sangiovese
- Vinifera Wines Graciano, Tempranillo
- W Wine of Mudgee Sangiovese
- Well Mannered Wines Tempranillo
Last Updated 6 Jan 2020
Visiting the Mudgee Region
Spring and Autumn are probably the best time of the year to plan a wine tour of Mudgee. There are plenty of wineries to visit here, and a range of other attractions, that at least a weekend or perhaps a few days is needed for a wine tour.
There is a range of accommodation options available in the town and in the surrounding countryside.
A quick search on Vinodiversity Hotels will turn up plenty of motels, self contained cottages, guest houses, caravan parks and camping grounds.
The nearby historic towns of Gulgong, Hill End, Rylstone and Sofala are also worth visiting.
An Offer from our online Wine Shop Partner
Six whites - Viognier, Savagnin, Gruner Veltliner, Vermentino, Friulano, Trebbiano .
Six reds - Sagrantino, Sangiovese, Malbec, Durif, Tempranillo, Touriga.
Together they make up a fine survey of the major alternative wine varieties made in Australia today by some of our best winemakers across Australian regions.
Also available as all reds and all whites dozens.
And at a great price..
Back to Australian Wine Regions Index
Was this info what you wanted?
Use the search box below to find more.
Before you go
Please subscribe to my newsletter...
I promise not to abuse your inbox. You will receive no more than three emails per month, most often just one, and you can unsubscribe at any time.