Alpine Valleys Wine
The Alpine Valleys wine region is a relatively new wine region in the North Eastern Victoria Zone.
Alternative varieties found in the Alpine Valleys Wine Region
Like the nearby King Valley Wine Region, there is a variety of climates from the relatively warm valley floors to quite cold areas further up the slopes.
So with careful site selection grape growers can chose from a large number of wine varieties which they can cultivate successfully. And, as we shall see, there are some innovative producers here who are at the cutting edge of the varietal revolution taking place in the Australian wine industry.
The region consists of the valleys of four rivers, namely the Buckland, Buffalo, Keiwa and Ovens. As the name suggests the valleys are part of the Australian Alps and are close to the ski resorts of Mt Hotham, Mt Buffalo and Falls Creek.
The wine industry is no doubt helped by the steady stream of tourists all year using the Great Alpine Road connecting NE Victoria to the Gippsland Lakes region.
The wine industry is one that has benefited from the winding down of the tobacco industry centred around Myrtleford. The influence of the Italian heritage of some of the grape growers and wineries shows up in the use of Italian varieties.
Vineyards in the foothills of the Australian Alps. Image from Billy Button Wines.
Victorian wineries on Pinterest
I have a Pinboard showing some of the wineries in Victoria who use alternative varieties.
Alternative wineries in the Alpine Valleys Region
Rare varietIes here
Pinotage is a South African bred red wine variety, usually associated with warmer wine regions.
Schioppettino is a highly perfumed red variety from Friuli, NE Italy where it is becoming increasingly popular.
Vespolino is a red wine variety from Piedmont. It is a related to Nebbiolo with which it is usually blended.
Read more about these varieties in the Rare Ozzies Book
- Bike and Barrel Albarino, Fiano, Pecorino, Pinotage, Refosco, Schioppettino, Tempranillo
- Billy Button Albarino, Arneis, Barbera, Durif, Garganega, Gewurztraminer, Gruner Veltliner, Fiano, Friulano, Malvasia, Pinot Blanc, Pecorino, Pinotage, Refosco, Sangiovese, Saperavi, Schioppettino, Tempranillo, Verduzzo, Vermentino
- Bush Track Wine Durif, Petit Verdot, Sangiovese
- Clay Pot Wines Fiano, Moscato Giallo, Saperavi, Vermentino
- Eaglerange Wines Tempranillo, Saperavi
- Feathertop Dornfelder, Durif, Fiano, Friulano, Montepulciano, Nebbiolo, Petit Verdot, Prosecco, Sangiovese, Savagnin, Tempranillo, Verdejo, Vermentino
- Ferraro Wines Barbera, Nebbiolo, Sangiovese, Vermentino
- Folino Estate Durif, Fragola, Lexia, Marzemino, Moscato
- Gapsted Wines Barbera, Durif, Fiano, Gewurztraminer, Montepulciano, Moscato, Petit Manseng, Pinot Blanc, Prosecco, Saperavi, Sangiovese, Tempranillo, Touriga, Zinfandel
- Homestead Estate Sangiovese, Savagnin
- Mayford Wines Tempranillo
- Michelini Barbera, Fragola, Marzemino, Sangiovese, Teroldego, Vermentino
- Mount Buff Wines Barbera, Durif, Prosecco
- Nomads Garden Dolcetto, Fiano, Gewurztraminer, Gruner Veltliner, Meunier, Nero d'Avola, Pinot Blanc
- Pipan Steel Nebbiolo
- Ringer Reef Winery Montepulciano, Moscato Giallo, Nebbiolo, Petit Manseng, Sangiovese, Vespolina
- Souters Vineyard Gewurztraminer
- Spring Spur Durif, Gewurztraminer, Pinotage, Vermentino
- Tawonga Vineyard Chambourcin, Durif, Marsanne
Updated 8 Jan 2023
Want to learn More About Australian Wine regions?
Billy Button Wines is newcomer to the Alpine Valleys but a leader in varietal innovation
Visiting The Alpine Valleys wine Region
There are plenty of reasons to visit the Alpine Valleys wine region in all four seasons. In winter the area provides the gateway to the Victorian snow resorts. In spring and summer there are opportunities for bushwalking and sightseeing in the alpine forests and high plains meadows. The townships of Bright and Harrietville are busy tourist resorts which are particularly popular in the autumn when the deciduous trees are showing their glory.
This means that whenever you visit the region you will have a great choice of accommodation, restaurants and tourism related activities.
Do you have a wine related business in this region?
Contact Darby to explore sponsoring options for this page
Abuzz with Alternatives
Twelve different alternative varieties and blends.
Also available as all red or all whites.
And at an affordable price.
Was this info what you wanted?
Use the search box below to find more.