Wine Books by Andre Domine
From the grape to the winery to the nose to the palate in a colourful journey. Andre Domine's small book, sort of a mini coffee table book, but about wine, is gorgeously illustrated and packs lots of information into its hundred pages.
- There is a wonderful glossary which allows you to say "gamy, mellow, tannic" in German, French, Italian and Spanish.
- How about anatomical diagram of the nose and the olfactory hot spots therein
- Or an explanation of the benefits of bathing in Red Wine, illustrated by a coy but evocative photograph
- Perhaps you would enjoy the recipe for "Turkish Blood" which calls for an unsprayed lemon.
Andre Domine is an award winning German wine writer who lives in a wine village in the South Of France. You may have seen his monumental work Culinaria France.
- This is a delightful and informative book. There are beautiful, witty and informative illustrations on every page, many by the renowned photographer Armin Faber.
- The listing of the top ten white varieties contains no real surprises, but the three rising stars outside the ten are Albarino, Roussanne and Aligote
- Page 36 is given over to a discussion of the relative merits of tank versus barrique, along with an explanation of batonage.
- Again there is a useful glossary to allow you to discuss the flavours of white wine in five European languages. On the more practical side there are a few pages of advice about serving temperature and choice of glassware.
Both of these books are a joy to look at and both contain useful information. They are available as a bonus if you join the Tahbilk Wine Club, but only if you do so via this page
You can browse for other wine books by Andre Domine here
Some more wine books of interest