The Murray Darling Wine Region
The Murray Darling Wine Region is an important but little known contributer to Australia wine.
It comprises large tracts of irrigated Land in the southwest corner of New South Wales and the northwest of Victoria.
Australia's two great rivers, The Murray and The Darling converge just near Mildura, and much of the surrounding land has been used for various irrigated crops since the 1890s.
This region produced fortified wines and brandy and since the 1930s it has been one of Australia's largest producers of table wines. Much of the wine is sold as bulk wine or in casks,
but over the past couple of decades some attention has been given to producing quality table wines.
Chalmers Vine Nursery in this region has done much to introduce new varieties and clones into Australia, and to encourage and educate winegrowers, winemakers and consumers to the
possibilities of different grape varieties better suited to Australian conditions.
The City of Mildura, at the centre of the region, hosts the annual Australian Alternative Varieties Wine Show
Wineries Using Alternative Varieties in the Murray Darling Region
- Callipari Wine Grenache
- Carn Estate Colombard
- Chalmers Aglianico, Lagrein, Fiano, Greco bianco, Malvasia Istriana, Negro amaro, Nero d'Avola, Nosiola, Sangiovese, Sagrantino, Schioppettino, Tempranillo, Vermentino, Viognier
- Chateau Mildura Carmenere, Pinot gris, Petit verdot, Viognier
- Currans Family Wines Carina, Durif, Grenache, Viognier
- Deakin Estate Colombard, Petit verdot, Tannat, Tempranillo, Viognier
- Farrell Estate Sangiovese, Viognier
- Harkaway Estate Petit verdot
- Mulcra Estate Wines Petit verdot
- Neqtar Wines Pinot gris, Viognier
- Nursery Ridge Petit verdot, Viognier
- Oak Valley Estate Petit verdot
- Pasut Family Wines Barbera, Fragola, Nebbiolo, Pinot gris, Sangiovese, Tocai friulano
- Piako Vineyards Durif, Lagrein, Petit verdot, Pinot gris, Sangiovese, Tempranillo
- Red Cliffs Petit verdot
- Roberts Estate Petit verdot, Sangiovese, Verdelho, Viognier
- Robinvale Wines Kerner, Lexia, Mavrodaphne, Ruby Cabernet, Trollinger, Zinfandel
- Rossiters Barbera, Colombard, Lagrein, Vermentino
- Salisbury Winery Colombard, Petit verdot, Sangiovese, Viognier
- Shinas Estate Viognier
- Tall Poppy Petit verdot, Sagrantino, Sangiovese, Vermentino, Viognier
- Trentham Estate Colombard, Grenache, Lexia, Maestri lambrusco, Moscato, Nebbiolo, Petit verdot, Pinot gris, Ruby Cabernet, Taminga, Tannat, Vermentino, Viognier
- Zilzie Wines Moscato, Pinot gris, Petit verdot, Sangiovese, Tempranillo, Viognier
Visiting the Region
Although the centre of the region, Mildura is in the State of Victoria and the region spills over into New South Wales it is closest to Adelaide of all Australia's major cities.
Since the arrival of Stefano Di Piero in the 1990s there has been a marked improvement in the food and wine scene in Mildura; it is now an attractive place to use as a base to
explore the wineries and the man made natural attractions of the rivers and the surrounding semi desert landscapes.
Vinodiversity Hotels Service can help you find the best deals on a whole range of
Accommodation in Mildura
See how you can own this magnificent wine grape varietal table